Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Apex 3.0 has been released!

It is already a few days ago, but Apex 3.0 has been released, on the 16th of March.



The quality is once again impressive, especially with regard to the upgrade from an existing 2.2.1 version. The whole process took only roughly 40 minutes, including the configuration. Very slick!



Here is a list of the new features.



Especially the new PDF printing facility. Unfortunately, in order to use the interesting PDF capabilities like Report Queries to create more complex layouts, you would need a full license for the BI publisher. This is a bummer.



Using FOP or other open frameworks it seems like it will only be possible to use the data from the current region, but not from other items in session state.



I will try to cook something up using Jasper Reports, I have already built a secured gateway to calling a complex Jasper Report that runs in a Tomcat.

Perhaps I can make use of the XML that is generated by Apex. The first impression is good.



I will keep you posted.



Regards,

~Dietmar.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Dietmar,

Yes, what you mention above would be great.
However is there some turnaround to link the apex version built-in in xe to use FOP with OC4J standalone?
Jasper however would be the best solution for me.

thanx

Anonymous said...

Hi Dietmar,

Did you manage to configure Jasper Reports with Apex as you planned ?

I will appreciate if you can share your experience.

Regards,

Vadim

Unknown said...

>However is there some turnaround to link the apex version built-in in xe to use FOP with OC4J standalone?

Sorry, but I have been too busy with three projects going live at the same time and being on vacation afterwards.

A few weeks ago, Version 3.0.1 has been released which can officially be installed on XE (with certain restrictions). With this release you can use the XE with FOP.

Regards,
~Dietmar.

Unknown said...

Hi Vadim,

>Did you manage to configure Jasper Reports with Apex as you planned ?

Sorry, not yet. But I will continue working on it in a few days.

I will post my results here.

Regards,
~Dietmar.

Small and Simple Things said...

Hi!

I am also interested in how this would be done! I have both APEX 3.01 and JasperServer running. What I don't have is is the knowledge to be able to link them together.

Any hints, tricks, tips, examples, etc. gratefully appreciated.

For us so far FOP and COCOON are flops as the JVM explodes (fails) on large PDF files.

Dave Venus

Anonymous said...

I have been searchine for alterntives for replacing the Oracle Application Server Reports services with APEX and Jasper Reports and then saw your blog. This will be extremely useful if you will be successful and share your experience with us. Best regards. Zafer